Sunday 24 June 2012

...to Feed the Birds

I get so much pleasure from watching the birds that visit our garden. And now it's winter I put out food for them each morning. It didn't take the mynahs and sparrows long to work out where and when to appear. They're waiting for me every day and if I'm a bit late appearing, they fly up close to the windows as if to hurry me up!


Ingredients for Birdseed Cakes
  I make birdseed 'cakes', a batch at a time and keep them in the fridge. They take five minutes to make, cost only a few cents, and are much appreciated by our hungry feathered friends.
  Here's what you need. You don't have to have exact measurements.

  • dripping or lard
  • wild bird seed (from the supermarket or garden centre)
  • breadcrumbs
  • extras such as chopped peanuts, popcorn, raisins (whatever you have on hand)
  1. In a microwave safe jug, melt some lard.
  2. Stir in enough birdseed and extras to make a thick mixture.
  3. Spoon into patty pan tins or little plastic moulds and set in fridge.
  And that's all there is to it!  
  I got such a surprise today. Out on the lawn, pecking away, was a turtle dove! I've never seen one round here before. In fact I had to 'google images' it to check what it was. Now all I need is to find a partridge in the pear tree and I'll be really happy!
A Turtle Dove in our Garden
  

No comments:

Post a Comment