|Apple and Pear Jam for Autumn|
'We sell only produce grown locally,' the owner told me. There were some luscious looking pears and apples in the store so I changed my plan.
This is what I made instead, in the microwave. This recipe makes 2 jars of jam.
Apple and Pear Jam
- 3 apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 pears, peeled and finely chopped
- juice and zest of a lemon
- 600 gm sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, washed
- In a large microwave-proof bowl, cook apples and pears in a little water until soft.
- Drain the water off and put the cooked pulp back in the bowl.
- Stir in the lemon zest & juice, sugar and cider vinegar.
- Microwave on high for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. (Check after 15 minutes by putting a little on a cold saucer to see how it is setting).
- Pour into sterilized jars.
- Add a sprig of rosemary to each jar and cover while hot.
This jam goes a lovely golden color when cooked and is not too sweet. The rosemary gives it a subtle flavor that is unusual.
Give it a try and see what you think!