Wednesday 30 May 2012

... to cook with Autumn produce

Apple and Pear Jam for Autumn
Today was the day I was going to make orange marmalade. So on my daily walk I called into the new fruit and vegetable shop that has opened in our town. But ... no oranges.
  'We sell only produce grown locally,' the owner told me. There were some luscious looking pears and apples in the store so I changed my plan.
  This is what I made instead, in the microwave. This recipe makes 2 jars of jam.
           
Apple and Pear Jam
  • 3 apples, peeled and finely chopped
  • 3 pears, peeled and finely chopped
  • juice and zest of a lemon
  • 600 gm sugar
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, washed
  1. In a large microwave-proof bowl, cook apples and pears in a little water until soft.
  2. Drain the water off and put the cooked pulp back in the bowl.
  3. Stir in the lemon zest & juice, sugar and cider vinegar.
  4. Microwave on high for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. (Check after 15 minutes by putting a little on a cold saucer to see how it is setting).
  5. Pour into sterilized jars.
  6. Add a sprig of rosemary to each jar and cover while hot.
This jam goes a lovely golden color when cooked and is not too sweet. The rosemary gives it a subtle flavor that is unusual.
  Give it a try and see what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment